MINUTES OF A MEETING
OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
OF THE BLACKWATER LAKE ASSOC.
May 1, 2016
A meeting of the board of directors of the Blackwater Lake Association (“the BLA”) was held on the above date at 352 Norman Point Rd., Longville, MN 56655, the home of Board Chair Lloyd Thielmann. Directors Dick Clough (by telephone), Craig Laughlin, Barbie Laughlin, Lloyd Thielmann, Linda Burns, Jerry Franke, and Becky Seemann were present. Claus Peukert and Travis Skalicky were absent. A quorum was present at the meeting.
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 8:38 by Board Chair, Lloyd Thielmann.
Approval of Agenda
Lloyd distributed the agenda for the meeting which, upon motion duly made and seconded, was unanimously approved.
Approval of Prior Minutes
The minutes of the October 25, 2015 meeting were circulated by Secretary, Craig Laughlin, prior to the meeting. Upon motion duly made and seconded the minutes were unanimously approved as submitted.
Linda reported that our current cash balance is $4,176.22. She also reported that we currently have 127 members for 2015/2016, up from 124 last year at this time.
Upon motion duly made and seconded, the Treasurers Report was unanimously approved.
- Spending Approvals: Upon motion duly made and seconded it was unanimously resolved to approve the following expenses: Conservation Minnesota @ $100. + $150. = $250.00, MLRA @ $150.00, ACCL (Cost TBD).
- Water Sampler: We are still looking for someone to take Jim Eller’s place. Craig has approached Jim Sletten.
- DNR Grant & Cass County Inspection Involvement: Wendy Crowell our Ecological Resource Grant Coordinator notified us that our extra DNR grant was denied again. Cass County has money for inspection at Blackwater and will supply a port-a-potty. Lloyd will check on bait dump alternatives. Craig will check on cost of buying a port-a-potty for next year. Upon motion duly made and seconded a resolution to approve a $500 contribution to Cass County to go toward the inspection process this year.
- 4th of July Parade: Upon motion duly made and seconded, it was unanimously resolved to approve $100 of prize money for the best “float”.
- Aquatic Invasive Species Action Plan: Lloyd & Becky led a discussion on the potential of having an appeal for funding for AIS prevention. Becky and Lloyd will try to find out how the Woman Lake and Lake Ada associations were able to get 501 c-3 designations with the IRS. The AIS committee will ask Carolyn Dinsdorf to leas another training session.
- ACCL Meetings: Next meeting is 5/16/16. Lloyd will attend the meeting. Other BLA BOD members will continue to attend ACCL meetings when they are able.
- Beaver Control: Lloyd reported that the new beaver control person, has done an excellent job.
- Elections & Terms of Office: Craig, Barbie, Claus, and Jerry will be up for reelection in 2016. Jerry and Barbie agreed to stand for reelection. Craig and Claus have not decided whether or not to run for reelection.
- Backwater Blurb: May 15 was set as the deadline for articles, with printing and mailing on or around May 30.
- Annual Meeting: Larry and Carla are not available to cater the lunch this year due to a family conflict. Barbie volunteered to be in charge of the food. The board discussed buying 20 gray BLA hats to be sold at the meeting. Upon motion duly made and seconded it was unanimously resolved to purchase 20 hats.
- AED: A member questioned whether it would make sense for the BLA to acquire an external defibrillator. Jerry will investigate the cost and potential placement locations.
Next Board Meetings
The Board set 8:30 a.m. on June 26, and October 2nd as the time and dates for the remaining Board meetings to be held at Lloyd’s in 2016.
There being no further business to come before the Board, and upon motion duly made and seconded, the meeting was adjourned by unanimous approval at 10:47 a.m.
Dated as of the date first written above.
Craig Laughlin, Secretary