History of Candor Township
[Copied by Lory Brasel, email@example.com, from the book “History of Otter Tail County” Volume I – 1916 by John W. Mason]
There were two townships organized on January 8, 1880, by the county commissioners – Candor and Star Lake. Candor was one of the first townships organized in the northern tier township and came into existence as a result of the satisfactory petition of twenty-five legal voters residing in township 137, range 41. On the 26th of the same month the first election for county officers was held at the house of A. Bradberry.
The names of the legal voters of said township who contributed to its organization were as follows: H. P. Johnson, Samuel Burgner, Charles French, Herbert Kinkle, George B. Grass, John Morneval, T. A. Blem, C. Drake, John Wallace, Isaac M. Spike, Iver Reynolds, H. C. Cook, F. Klug, H. A. Bradburg, Carl Glanex, Robert Schram, William Furnold, F. A. Blossom, Fred Green, A. A. Drake, Daniel M. Still, Frank S. Biekle, Andrew Becke, William Glanex and M. B. Bradburg.
This township was the forty-fifth to be organized in the county and this may be accounted for by the fact that it was so far distant from the county seat. Located in the northern tier of townships it is nearly forty miles from Fergus Falls, while its nearest trading center for many years was Pelican Rapids, more than twelve miles distant. The building of the Soo line through the township in 1903 put it in touch with the outside world and has been the means of appreciably raising the value of land in the township.
Several lakes are to be found within the confines of the township, the chief ones being Leek, Hand, Loon, Hook, Otter, Cooks, Schrams, Ida and part of Sauer, the latter being mostly in Becker county. In addition to these there are a number of smaller bodies of water scattered over the township. The general elevation of the township is above a thousand feet and the many lakes do not prevent the farmers from having well drained and productive farms.
There have been two town sites, platted in the township, Vergas and Elmwood. Elmwood was platted by Martin Aalberg for James and Etta M. Nesbitt and recorded in the office of the register of deeds, July 14, 1911. It is located in the southern part of Candor township, sections 34 and 35, township 137, range 43.