A Look Back at Trowbridge/Leek Lake Written by
Ralph and Wilma Richter September 1997
Back in the 30′ s Trowbridge/Leek Lake was 12 feet lower. Trees grew up in the bay by Hodnefields which is now called Glawe’s bay, and also the bay on the south side which was called Moltzan Bay. The water came up in the 40′ s. There was tree stumps sticking out of the water in the bays in the 60’s. There also was a telephone pole and line in the middle of the narrows. When the water was low there was very small passage in the narrow for boats. Where the islands are now was part of the west shore line when the water was low.
The land the resort is on was owned back in the 20’s by Herman Bunkowski. He sold it to Ralph Richter in 1956. Going east around the lake the next piece was owned by Emerson Kuhlemeyer, (Earls Father). The next piece is now owned by the Ebersviller Family. Next piece by Arcelia Trowbridge which is now Camp Trowbridge owned by Red River Camp Fire USA. North of Camp Trowbridge was owned by Verlin McKenzie. Next to McKenzies going west was the Glawe FanTI which is now owned by Melvin Hodnefield. Trowbridge point was owned by Alex Lockowitzer which was sold to a developer for lots in the early 50’s. The home site was bought by Herb Bruhl and later purchased by Jerry McDonald and Dick Deilke who then sold lots. Where Bob Wilson lives was once called Kirbys point, Kirbys sold to Gib Hillstrom and he sold it to Bob Wilson.
The lake was locally called Trowbridge Lake because a family by that name lived by the lake. They had the land where Camp Trowbridge is now. On most maps it was known as Leek Lake. When we started the resort we added Trowbridge to the name. From the narrows west it is called Leek Lake and east of the narrows Trowbridge. We built Lost Valley Resort in 1961.
On the west side the land was owned by Geo. Trautner. The Southwest piece was called Leek Lake Lodge. The south side by Harry Bradbury which was put into lots of his children and now owned by different people. The next piece was owned by Hank Moltzan and developed into lots in 1956. He also started Birch Shores now Hidden Acres in 1962.
The first cabins on the lake were owned by Pearl Peterson, Jean Riley and the Kirbys on Trowbridge Point. Tischauser and Brownsteins on the northwest side. The lodge was developed in the 50’s and 60’s