A meeting of the board of directors of the Blackwater Lake Association (“the BLA”) was held on the above date at 3058 4th Avenue North, Longville, MN 56655, at the home of Chairman Lloyd Thielmann. Board of Directors Lloyd Thielmann, Carolyn Dindorf, Linda Burns, Dodi Sletten, Barbie Laughlin, Becky Seemann, Tim Marr, and Shannon Klundt were present at the meeting. A quorum was present at the meeting.
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 8:36 a.m. by Board Chairman, Lloyd Thielmann.
Approval of Agenda
Lloyd distributed the agenda prior to the meeting which, upon motion duly made and seconded, was unanimously approved.
Approval of Prior Minutes
The minutes of the May 5, 2019, BOD’s meeting minutes were distributed by Dodi Sletten via email in May and copies were available at this meeting. After review by the board which, upon a motion duly made and seconded, the meeting minutes were unanimously approved as submitted.
Linda Burns provided an email to the board prior to the meeting with both the detail and summary of the budget for the year 2018-2019. The June 30, 2019 yearend balance is $5,657.11. Linda has segregated the funds designated for the Lake Protection Fund/AIS and that balance is $2,186.81. The board discussed whether the name of the segregated fund should include a reference to AIS to ensure future grant aid if needed. The board agreed to reference AIS in the name. The treasurer’s report was approved as submitted.
- 4th of July Parade: Cindy Larson will be managing the parade with a $100.00 prize going to the winner. The boats will register starting at 1:45 p.m. with a start time of 2:00 p.m. going clockwise. Because of the delay in the Blurb getting mailed, Lloyd will send out a reminder in his email message. Weather reports show rain a possibility on the 4th. Lloyd will check with Cindy to see if she would be open to moving the parade to Friday the 5th should rain be an issue on the 4th.
- Email Notice: Lloyd will send out an email reminding everyone of the boat parade including details, the dates and hosts of the upcoming cabin coffees, and the annual meeting date.
- ACCL Meetings: Lloyd requested board attendance for the next two meetings. Dodi will attend the July 26th meeting.
- Beaver Control: Lloyd reported that excellent work is being done by the beaver control individual. Carolyn reported seeing beaver activity that partially blocked the waterway. Lloyd will check with him to address.
- Board Elections: The following board members are up for re-election. Becky Seemann and Tim Marr for two year terms as directors. Dodi Sletten as a three year term as secretary. Shannon Klundt is up for election as a two year term director. The at large director position remains open and members of the board will continue to gauge interest within our membership.
- Small mailer (Blurb): Lloyd presented a draft of the small Blurb which will contain an article by Lloyd, the application for membership, cabin coffee dates and hosts, and the agenda for the annual meeting. Deadline date is July 1st to be completed and mailed.
- BLA Annual Meeting: The annual meeting is on July 20th, 2019. The Woodrow Town hall has been reserved. Lloyd presented the board with an agenda which was approved by the board. The social hour will begin at 9:00 a.m. with the annual meeting starting at 10:00 a.m.
Our new DNR conservation officer-Jacqueline Hughes and Levy Bergstrom-AIS technician will be introduced and are our featured speakers. Lloyd has applications to join MN Lakes and River Lakes Association and encouraged joining as this is our voice at the State capitol.
Thank you cards will again be sent to everyone who has contributed and will feature a Lady Slipper picture on the cover.
Tim and Jan Marr will play beginning at 9:15 a.m. during the social hour. The silent auction items will be set up to allow bidding during the social hour, throughout the meeting and at end of the meeting. The silent auction items will include donations by members, friends, and our local businesses. Any hats and visors that are left will be included in the silent auction.
The food will be hosted and served by Terry Thielmann and Jean English. The food will be purchased from Costco and include sandwiches, potato salad, chips and cookies. Barbie will pick up the donuts for the social hour and Lloyd will buy the soda and water for the meeting. Board members will arrive at 8:30 a.m. to set-up.
- Lake Association Non Profit Status: Linda proposed that we revisit applying for 501c3 non-profit status. Linda will forward a link from a local lake 501c3 association – Lake ADA – that covers the process they went through to obtain 501c3 status. Becky relayed conversations she has had with legal counsel in the past who advised against applying as the process was arduous and the yearly reporting time consuming. Tim talked about the process that the community choir went through as being heavy upfront paperwork but the yearly reporting was not difficult. Gaining this status may help gain potential future grants if needed.
Next Board Meetings and Annual Meeting
The BLA Annual meeting for 2019 will be held on July 20th. The next Board of Directors meeting for 2019 will be held on October 6th.
There being no further business to come before the Board, and upon motion duly made and seconded, the meeting was adjourned by unanimous approval at 10:10 a.m.
Dated as of the date first written above.
Dodi Sletten, Secretary