CROSS LAKE ASSOCIATION MEMBERSHIP MEETING
May 19, 2018 – 9:00 a.m.
American Legion, Pine City
The meeting was called to order at 9:05 by President Dan Reuter.
Dan introduced himself and the board members.
Barb Videen discussed the volunteer program and updated members on ways they can become involved. If they have an idea they’d like to pursue, let us know. She updated us on the Brautigan’s membership walk around the lake, Shanie and Deanna’s innovated ideas for FaceBook and our Web page along with various other volunteer projects.
Dan introduced Jill and Chris, from Pine County Soil and Water, who gave us an update on the North End Project. They inspected it last week and all is going well. We are waiting for a heavy rainfall to check it out under those conditions. They answered questions.
Dan introduced our main speaker, Rich Rezanka, and Invasive Species Specialist from the DNR. He gave an enlightening talk on “Invasive Plant Management – Cross Lake, Pine County”. The two species that have been found in Cross Lake are Eurasian Water Milfoil (discovered in the 1980s and Curly Leaf Pondweed. Once these are found they need to be managed and will never be eradicated. There are 3 ways to manage invasive; 1. Harvest by hand cutting in the Spring when they are 1-2 feet tall, 2. Dredging, 3. Contact Herbicide when the water temperature is 50-60º. At the time of his sampling, there was a reduction in Curly Leaf and no Eurasian Water Milfoil detected. There will be some but is appears our efforts are having an effect.
Here is the process that CLA (or individuals) must go through to spray herbicide on Invasive:
1. Apply to the DNR (now online)
2. Secure Funding – we received funding from Pine County. Maybe from the DNR again in the future
3. Obtain property owners signatures – to treat affected areas closer than 150 ft. from the shore.
4. Physical survey of the lake – (individuals pay a consultant or contractor such as Lake Management, or… have Rich do it which is what CLA has done. This year, for the first time, we included the South end of the lake).
5. Application of the product (He plans on doing Cross Lake on Monday or Tuesday). This year we are treating 5.7 acres.
Rich answered member questions.
A drawing was held for 2 CLA caps.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:45.
Respectfully Submitted Barbara Videen | CLA Secretary