Potential Agricultural BMPs to promote:
1) Nutrient management plans
2) Crop residue management
3) Wetland restoration potential. One specific area in need of attention is the wetland to the NE of the lake. Land acquisition has been attempted in the past but this approach should not be abandoned.
4) Identification and targeting of highly erodible lands and promotion of appropriate BMPs
5) Identification of agricultural producers who are willing to implement water retention on their land.
6) Drainage considerations:
a. Determination of potential to redirect drainage outlets through treatment ponds or through water retention basins before directly entering Lake Volney
b. Implement drainage projects that improve/maintain water quality
7) Utilization of the Agricultural BMP Handbook for Minnesota (MDA, 2012)