SEPTIC SYSTEMS IN CROW WING COUNTY
Crow Wing County Planning and Zoning
200 S 4th St
Brainerd, MN 56401
E-mail address: email@example.com
Web address: www.co.crow-wing.mn.us
In 1996, the State of Minnesota adopted “Chapter 7080”, the minimum technical standards for Individual Sewage Treatment Systems (ISTS).
To residents of Crow wing county, this means that an existing septic system shall require a compliance inspection when any one of the following conditions occur:
A. Upon application for Zoning Permit where the Certificate of Compliance is more than 5 years old or the Compliance Inspection Form is more than 3 years old;
B. Within 90 days of filing a Certificate of Real Estate Value or Warranty Deed or Trust on property that does not meet the requirements in “A” above;
C. For necessary disclosures; or
D. When the Planning and Zoning Office may deem appropriate.
1. FOR EXISTING SYSTEMS, the first step towards compliance is to contact a State-licensed inspector. A list of State-licensed inspectors is available at the Planning & Zoning office and on the web page. Upon inspection, existing systems will either have a record of compliance filed with the particular parcel or the owner will have up to 10 months to upgrade a failing system.*
2. FOR NEW SYSTEMS, a design & site evaluation must be submitted to the Planning and Zoning office for approval by one of the Crow Wing county Zoning Inspectors. After examination and approval, he/she will contact the designer, who will in turn contact the property owner. A septic system permit can then be applied for.
3. Septic system permits are issued by the Planning and Zoning office. The septic system fee is separate from any other building permit fee that is being purchased. After purchasing a septic system permit, installation may proceed. A list of licensed installers is on file at the Planning and Zoning office and on the web page.
(State-licensed Designers may be installers as well.)
NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR OBTAINING YOUR SEPTIC PERMIT.
4. No construction permit will be issued until an UNDERSIZED OR FAILING system is upgraded to meet the required code. Should failure occur between November 1 and April 30, a “winter window” allowing upgrade to be postponed until after April 30 is available.
5. After the system has been installed, the Planning & Zoning office is contacted by the installer to schedule an on-site inspection of the system prior to covering. SCHEDULING OF INSPECTION APPOINTMENTS MUST BE DONE 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE OF COVERING. The installer is required to have the permit number when scheduling inspection appointments.
*IF SYSTEM PRESENTS AN IMMINENT HEALTH HAZARD, SYSTEM MUST BE UPGRADED WITHIN 30 DAYS.
**FOR INFORMATION ON INSTALLATION OF WELLS PLEASE CONTACT THE STATE HEALTH DEPARTMENT AT (320) 255-4216.
Crow Wing County Sewage Disposal Setbacks
Septic System Designers
Septic System Inspectors