Memorial Gifts for Jack Wallschlaeger
In 2012, WAPOA and the Pine River Watershed Alliance with the professional assistance of the Initiative Foundation of Little Falls, Minnesota, created the Land & Waters Preservation Trust, a special endowment opportunity for the stewardship of our lakes and streams. Per Jack Wallschlaeger’s family’s wishes, memorial gifts in tribute to Jack Wallschlaeger may be made to the Land & Waters Preservation Trust, a permanent endowment fund for the Whitefish Chain of Lakes and Pine River Watershed. Write checks to “Initiative Foundation/Land & Waters Trust”, make note on the memo line that your memorial gift is in honor of “Jack Wallschlaeger”, and mail to: Initiative Foundation, 405 1st St SE, Little Falls, MN 56345.
As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, your Initiative Foundation contribution is tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. The Initiative Foundation owns and manages financial contributions to the Land & Waters Preservation Trust. No goods or services will be exchanged for your gift.
Jack Wallschlaeger 1932 – 2013
The lakes and rivers of Minnesota have lost a true steward and a real champion.
And, everyone who loves the waters in the lake country has lost a leader with
an incredible passion and an ability to preserve and protect that gift.
Jack Wallschlaeger passed away on April 21, 2013. He will truly be missed.
Jack was both a visionary and a doer. He knew and appreciated the intricate balance that needs to be maintained to make sure our lakes, streams, and rivers are here for us to enjoy today but will also be here for future generations.
A partial listing of Jack’s volunteer activities include:
- Board of Directors, WAPOA
- President, 1996-1998
- Vice President
- Nominating Committee
- Directed Survey of 2,500 Septic Systems on Whitefish Chain
- Water Quality Committee Chair
- Board of Directors and Vice President, Crow Wing Environmental Protection Association
- Board of Directors, Crow Wing County Lakes and Rivers Association
- Board of Directors, Crow Wing County Water Planning Advisory Board
- Charter Member, Pine River Watershed Protection Foundation
- Board of Directors, Pine River Watershed Alliance
- Chair, Crow Wing County Board of Adjustment
- North Central Lakes Area Shoreline Management Rules Project Committee
- DNR Shoreline Rules Update Advisory Committee
- First Responder, Ideal Township
- North Central Minnesota Lakes Project “2006 Water Protection Award”
- Crow Wing County Lakes and River Alliance “2008 Water Warrior Award”
- Minnesota Lakes Association
- Board of Directors
- Vice President
- 2011 Volunteer of the Year (with his wife, Judy Wallschlaeger)
The nomination for the 2011 Volunteer of the Year captured the essence of Jack Wallschlaeger.
Jack had “a clear vision like many, but like very few, he possessed an
extraordinary commitment to making it happen for Minnesota’s lake legacy.
He had a love of the lakes in his blood, and worked hard to save our lakes and water resources.
He had an extraordinary commitment to making things happen.”
by THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS